adding dry sand

View previous topic View next topic Go down

adding dry sand

Post by blennieluvr on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Does anyone have experience with adding dry sand to and established 75 gallon? We're scrapping most of the sand that came in the 75 setup and she's going to slowly add new, dry stuff but I'm not sure how fast to advise her to add it. I told her maybe a couple of cups every other day but that's just a total guess.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Re: adding dry sand

Post by cdness on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 pm

If the tank is still in the cycling process, go ahead and add as much as you want to whenever you want to and just finish the cycle.

If you are up and running with a cycled tank there are more precautions to worry about. Depending on how long it has been up and running the sand can collect nasties (term for anything that can nuke your tank). If the sand is taken out all at once you can release these nasties into the water column and cause a crash. Adding of the new sand too quickly could trigger a small cycle in addition to the nasties... Need more info though:

How long has the tank been up and running?

How large of a sandbed does it currently have?

So assuming the tank is running and you do not want to cause a cycle, the best option would be to slowly remove and slowly add over a months time. This way your tank has a chance to catch up.

No matter what you do though, rinse the sand very well before adding it to the tank.

cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:09 pm

I agree with Curtis I would rinse the sand really well and then I would add it slowly, if you rinse it really well there should not be to much bad stuff in it. I used a spag. strainer to rinse my sand when I tore down and rebuilt.

Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:15 pm

If you buy fine sand, use a cheap or old pillowcase to rinse it out. Works very well and you don't lose any sand that way but the bad stuff still comes out in solution...

cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Where is everyone buying their sand at?
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845