R/O system set-up

View previous topic View next topic Go down

R/O system set-up

Post by seaponygirl on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for all the info on why well water won't cut it. I never would have thought of heavy metals. Soooo now I would like some basic information on how to set up Reverse Osmosis systems. I have a 20 gallon tank. I have seen a very small R/O system at Bulk Reef Supply. It is called the Enterprise. The name sounds good to me. It's supposed to fit nicely under a sink. I get the hook up part to the water supply, but where does the R/O water go? In a bucket under the sink? Do the whole house systems do the same thing? I was thinking if I eventually get more tanks and need the larger $300 system, might as well go whole house for not significantly more. What's good for the fish, has to be good or us too, eh?

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Re: R/O system set-up

Post by little_ocean_treasures on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:23 pm

You sound like me with my first RO/DI unit purchase last year. I knew so little about them and there wasn't a lot of info I found on the internet either. Anyways, I currently have 2 smaller tanks too...a 14 gallon Biocube and a 29 gallon Biocube.

So I have the Spectrapure RO/DI 60 GPD (gallons per day) unit I got from Marine Depot and I really like it. It's just the filter unit hooked up to our water and then you need to have a tub, or jug, or some sort of reservoir to collect the water as it filters. I use a 6 gallon water jug from Walmart for mine and it takes about 4-5 hours to fill it full when I need it and then I just shut the valve off...until I need it again.

My unit has two lines, one for waste water, and one for good filtered water. I place the line for waste water in my washing machine (the unit is actually set up down in the basement next to washer which is nice) so I'm not wasting a ton of paid for city water. lol And the filtered water line is fed up under the kitchen sink and goes in my collection jug that I set here in the kitchen. (making some right now actually)

I know there are better ways of doing this but right now that's my setup and it's simple. lol Never mind if you don't set the timer to remind you the water is going, it spills onto the floor and under the fridge. oops! tongue But I hope any of this may of been some help.

And yes, RO water is great for drinking too.
little_ocean_treasures
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by cdness on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:46 pm

You don't want to drink RODI as it is not very tasty or thirst quenching... If you are doing the drinking water is is an RO filter then another carbon before the drinking water hits the glass to make sure it tastes better.

BRS and Spectrapure are good units. Make sure you get one that uses the standard filter sizes though so you don't get caught up with expensive replacement filters.

You can get a splitter that will hook it up right under the sink off the cold water line. This way you don't need to use the piercing valve as that is not as easy to remove if you ever want to take it off...

The waste line can be plumbed to the main sink drain above the trap with a saddle adapter. You just drill a small hole in the drain tube from the sink and line up the saddle adapter. Tighten the bolts and insert the waste line.

I use the blue 7 gallon walmart buckets from the camping section to store water. I used to put the bucket in my sink and run the RODI so if it ever overflowed it would just go down the sink. Any potable water safe bucket will be good to use for water storage.

As a final not there is no way you would need to go with a $300 RODI unit. If you did, take a look at the low waste Spectrapure systems. I would look into a standard 75 or 90 GPD unit from the start as they will make water much faster for you so less waiting and typically not much more cost. I can forward you the spectrapure sales if you want me to.
cdness
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 798

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanwillow on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I have a 75 gallon per day unit. Under my kitchen sink, with a line ran all the way down to next to my tank. That way I can do everything right AT my tank instead of hauling water everywhere.

But otherwise, its just like the others said. We pierced my line (my brs one came with both the piercer and the connector so you can decide when you get it) and it runs into the filters. Then the waste goes down the drain, while the good stuff comes to my 5 gallon buckets.
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top