giant clam demise

View previous topic View next topic Go down

giant clam demise

Post by seaponygirl on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:09 pm

I lost my giant clam last night. He was looking a little closed the day before, and last night, he was fare for the crabs. He was a very small one, from the swap. I don't think it was lack of light as he actually had real sun for about 1 hour a day. Bummed out though, they sure are pretty and kind of unigue. My water parameters have been good, I don't have the exact numbers and I have been adding some calcium. Maybe it's that darn old NOT R/O water.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Re: giant clam demise

Post by Swanwillow on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Mmm, you really should start testing your parameters. It can be surprising what you have in there. I can't keep clams though either, so I know how you feel.
Swanwillow
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 845

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:00 pm

Clams are tough to keep, you really need nice stable paramaters and a lot of light, not sure what you were running. I recently lost my crocea, had it about a year and it started looking off for months, couldn't figure out what the problem was and it croaked. I hear the smaller ones are more difficult as well.
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Damn sorry. Stay away from the littes. go for the 4in+ ones
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:28 am

Clams just go. They don't show signs off being sick like some corals do. They look fine one day and poof the next. I lost one after our last swap in 2010 but that one I knew how we lost it as we had a heater problem. It stinks and I'm sorry for your loss.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:18 am

I have Never lost a Clam, Baby or big????. "Knock on wood" funny how that works Vishnu couldn't keep Clams either until I gave him my Godzilla Derasa.
Baby Clams most people kill them because they put them under to strong of lighting Thinking its the best for them because there a clam but not so there Mantle are still very thin and Burn up really quickly, When there small I keep mine in low to mod lighting mild Light flow and twice a week drift Isocrysis over them.
Larger Clams Just keep Mod flow ,Mod to high lighting and Stable High Cal,Alk,Mag and once a month Drift Isocrysis over them.
Plus I usually Acclimate if I got them from a store or on line Really slow because most places keep lower then what I keep for Cal,Alk and Mag.
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:35 pm

thanks for the sympathy. I hate losing anything, even the crabs. Hermit crabs I mean. I was going to save the shell for a necklace, but it got tossed out. Thanks for the information too. I had my water tested at Rick's LFS, and it was OK, Full test kit is on the list...

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top