What's your preference: BIG tank or NANO?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's your preference: BIG tank or NANO?

Post by blennieluvr on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:14 pm

I have thoughts on this but I'm going to wait to share them. I'd like to see what others have to say first. Nanos are becoming more and more popular but there are also still people who think bigger is better with our reef tanks. Please share your experiences, opinions and pros and cons you can think of with each big or nano tank setups.

We need to get some chatting going around here so please chime in!!
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your preference: BIG tank or NANO?

Post by seaponygirl on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Bigger is always better. However if I was in one place for employment, I shift locations pretty much daily, I would like a nano or pico (smallest?). I've always heard that get the biggest tank or build the biggest pond you can afford. As for ponds I definitely agree. I finally got mine up and running and as fall sets in I am digging back shelves all along the edge, to increase the overall look, and make "bog" sections.
Just 2 years ago I started with a 20, then 40, then 75 now a 120. I want to combine the 75 and the 120 into a reef/refugium that share sumps.
In the end, however, I'd like to have something, and eventually a nano may all be nursing home will let me have.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am

Now that it is easier to stabilize our tanks now with ATO's and reactors,or dosing pumps,monitor our parameters with Apex's ect. smaller volumes of water in nano tanks now are easier to keep stable and this is the main reason nano tanks gave hobbyist a head ache over time,smaller tanks have more effect from evaporation and parameters fluctuation then larger tanks do.
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 am

I prefer my nanos, the upkeep and expense of a large tank is more than I want to deal with and I'm more of a coral vs fish person. Although I think I would really like a 30-40 gallon setup again. My upgrade plans got pushed into space for awhile so I combined my tanks, got rid of the 7.5 and put the nps into my 24 gallon.
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 pm

I like nanos better too. I think I actually notice my critters more in the nanos than the big tanks. And, upkeep is more manageable! I just did a 5g w/c last eve and didn't even feel like I was skimping! Smile However, you do have to maintain your small tanks because bad things can happen fast in them.

Another aspect I like is that I can have more than one with different environments and critters and take better care of what's in there than trying to mix livestock that have different requirements in a large tank. I often feel there's a general vibe in the hobby that bigger is better and it's actually a bit of a pet peeve to me. I don't mind reefers with big tanks, I just don't think they deserve any more bragging rights than those of us with smaller tanks. Wink
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:54 pm

I beg to differ. Now those of us with larger tanks do it just to belittle all you little tank owners. We don't really like those massive water changes, expensive equipment and continuous warfare with misplaced livestock. BUT you are not going to tell us different. Why I'll suffer a broken back and arthritic fingers just prove bigger is better. In addition, look at that show TANKED. If you build huge tanks like they do, you can see that with a bigger tank you can just throw fish in there willy nilly and nothing ever happens, really never, they live forever like that. And who needs live rock? Plastic coral landscapes provide colorful realistic corals and a nutritional base for all grazing fish.
Nano tanks require educated and dedicated husbandry. With bigger tanks, if something dies, you can blame it on the landscaping saying things such as..."oh, he's just hiding, he's shy and just behind a rock somewhere." With a Nano, you actually have to account for your livestock.
So as you can tell, I prefer the bigger tanks.
It's all about the drama, baby.

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:10 pm

You always have a way with words, Seaponygirl!
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:46 am

I prefer larger tanks myself, but with the time I have to contribute to my hobby any more a Nano is more practical for me now.
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seaponygirl on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 am

On the bigger side, again, I rediscovered the article in Reef Keeping magazine on keeping Polar Bears in a marine aquarium.  Apparently one can be quite successful if you follow Lew's parameters.  If you would like to read the entire treatise, go to Reef Keeping magazine, articles, humor, polar bears.  It is by Lew Wishlhogyagppiski (sp?)  Try keeping a bear in a Nano.  HA!

seaponygirl
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top