lights again!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lights again!!!

Post by tattooedreefer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:44 pm

ok so my tank took a poo, so i went and found a new light setup. a hamelton. it has 2 250 watt double end bulbs and 2 96 watt pc's. this will be for the 75 gallon. i got a good deal because one hqi and one pc is burnt. so i was thinking one of you reefers woul know of a place to get new bulbs? also what should i get 10k? 14k? 20k? any imput would be great confused
tattooedreefer
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Re: lights again!!!

Post by brad on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:36 pm

I deal with hellolights. 10k is good for growth, but I like the 14k for color, it is all a personal choice.

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by tattooedreefer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 pm

there price is kind of high? have you heard anything good about 15k?
tattooedreefer
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:27 pm

I usually order from hellolights as well. You could try aqauarium specialty, reefgeek or marine depot too. What bulbs are you looking at? Can't really say whether 15K would be better or worse because every company has different spectrums, a 14K in one may be really blue and then really white with a different maker. I'm putting Phoenix 14k for my 250 watt and my 150 watt are running the current 14K bulbs (they were on sale). I've ran a 10ks before with no actinic and it was very natural looking but most people like a bluer look.
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by tattooedreefer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:33 pm

yeah i am thinking about maybe full actinic i just like the look...so maybe a 20k? is that the full actinic?
tattooedreefer
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Halides can't be actinic, they just have more blue spectrum. 20k might be a bit much seeing as you have separate actinic bulbs. Slower growth as well although your corals would look awesome. I would probably go for 14k, nice middle ground.
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 pm

I am in the market for some new bulbs and there is a guy on tcmas that I have bought from before and has good prices. I was thinking of going with all 15k and this is what he told me.
"A couple things, I do have 2-400w 15k on hand.....
However, a couple of things to think about
Most like the 20k's for both wattages. The main reason is "they" say the par value of the 20k's is a bit higher than the 20's. Because of this I have scaled back on the 15's.
On the other hand I have had others say "screw" the par values and give me the 15k's anyway.......others have combined them.

So 2 things I would suggest:
-Either go all 20k's and go with the norm
or go the different way, which is what many have done, and like it, is mix the bulbs up
- Go 2-250 20k's and go with the 400w 15k. That way you have time to see how they burn in, move corals around to see where they look best and basically see if you like how the 3 mix together. More than a few have done this and I have heard no complaints at all.
Food for thought, let me know"

Garrett

Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:41 pm

20 k 400 watt radiums look real nice for a great halide bulb. I have been using a 400w 20 k xm and it is not as blue as the radium but in all honesty i still like t'5s cause they cause no heat compared to this halide and do not appear to grow coral or corraline at any faster of rate imo.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by tattooedreefer on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:13 pm

well i ordered a 250 watt 14k, and a 250 10k, two for 38 bucks so i hope i like one of them
tattooedreefer
Tang
Tang

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:57 pm

Really?? were did you get them?? what kind are they??
38 for both??

Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top