why can't I just be happy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

why can't I just be happy

Post by blennieluvr on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:58 am

Lately, I keep fussing with my tank but am still not happy. First, it was the aquascaping which I finally gave up on. I've got corals growing into each other that need to be trimmed back. I want bluer bulbs but mine have a while to go yet so decided to wait till they're due for a change. I bought more powerheads but no matter where I put them, something gets ticked off and closes up. Mad

I think I'll take a day or so off and then try again with the powerheads. Actually, I know what I will do. I will go home, take one look at the tank and then start messing with it again. AND, will probably feel the same way about it when I am done as I did before.

Just had to share. I'm getting tired of being frustrated with it. Also, I know I should be just thankful to have the tank. People are losing their jobs all over the place and hobbies like this are something they may have to choose to give up.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Re: why can't I just be happy

Post by Home_Depot on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:04 am

.......OK here is what you have to do ....stop and take a deep breath rub the top of your ears and say woosaaa woosaaa.....then do one thing at a time. as for the powerheads what did you get? and where did you put them? Lights yes I would agree wait till you need new ones. And as for aquascaping does anyone really like how there tank looks? you get an idea in your head on how you want it to look and it never turns out that way. IMO the more you mess with your tank the more chance you have of it crashing or stuff starting to die.

Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:35 am

I know, I know! I do think it's mainly the aquascape and white/yellow color of the lights that bother me and I truly do need to learn to live with them for now!

I got a modded MJ900 and a Koralia 3. I already had an MJ1200. The MJ1200 is in the back left of the tank. The koralia I tried putting on the right side of the tank pointing up a bit and toward the front left. I have to put the 900 in a corner or it comes out of it's holder so took that out for now.

I took pics of my tank (not necessarily the powerheads). I'll post up soon and then I'm open to tips!
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:03 pm

I move my powerheads all the time to. I think some corals you just cant make happy :/
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by moonyguy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 am

Cammie if you need help with your tank I will be glad to help out when we are there. With powerheads its a struggle to find the sweet spot. It took me 6 months to get the right orientation and the gph rating for my tank. A lot of folks helped out too.
Vishnu

moonyguy
Clownfish
Clownfish

Number of posts : 67

http://www.geocities.com/moonyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:57 am

I'd appreciate the help Vishnu. Thanks.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by brad on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:25 pm

When you aquascape you are never happy right away, give it a week or so to grow on you.

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 am

I added rock a couple of months ago and tried reaquascaping then so it has been awhile. I do just have to live with it though. There's just too much in there to be moving rocks around.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dedex on Thu May 14, 2009 3:04 pm

I've been so frustrated with the HA in mine that I am ready to break both tanks down and call it quits!!! I've tried everything. Water changes, shutting the light out for several days, UGH!!! Just frustrated, and don't have time to deal with a icky looking tank!

Dedex
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs on Thu May 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Dedex wrote:I've been so frustrated with the HA in mine that I am ready to break both tanks down and call it quits!!! I've tried everything. Water changes, shutting the light out for several days, UGH!!! Just frustrated, and don't have time to deal with a icky looking tank!
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p678/BRS-Single--GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html
I had to get a reactor to stop my HA and red slime crap
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy on Thu May 14, 2009 4:38 pm

carbon and phosphate only mask the real problem. I would have to say that RODI water is not tds =0 or your skimmer is not working properly and not removing nutrients properly. Make sure your tds is near 0.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1169

Back to top Go down

Post by brad on Thu May 14, 2009 5:54 pm

get an urchin or phosphate removing pad.

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs on Thu May 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Mn. reef crzy wrote:carbon and phosphate only mask the real problem. I would have to say that RODI water is not tds =0 or your skimmer is not working properly and not removing nutrients properly. Make sure your tds is near 0.

I need to get a TDS meter. I know my RODI water is =0 wish it was tho BRAINERD CITY WATER SUCKS lol
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy on Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 pm

i have always just bought some other thing like phosban reactors and everything. Bottomline it was not until about a month ago when i changed my filters in my rodi I had all my algae dissapear and all of my sps grows twice as fast now. If you live where the water you get causes problems than you need to get rodi or new filters if you already have a rodi. after many months of fighting algae problems in the new tanki finally got down to the solution. Like everyone kept telling me you need to monitor well it is filling your water storage container. Basically i let mine run all the time due to very poor instructions at the time from bulk reef. so everytime i checked my tds it sayed 0. Well the real problem is all the iron here on the range. I have to change my sediment filter every month or so from what i was told. Any event if you dont want algae you need to start with good water. Going postal is fortunate that she gets away with tap, i tried that before no good.

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs on Fri May 15, 2009 10:34 am

I added a DI unit to my RO unit back in february. That helped me out alot. I did add the reactor for more then just PO4. Lots of stuff i can put in there if i need to Smile The reactor is helping with the damn red slime. i only have a litte of it here and there now. But that may be due to that my tank can take if it by its self Smile

Going postal is fortunate that she gets away with tap WOW thats some good H2O
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by seafishinmn on Sat May 16, 2009 8:40 am

Wow, I must be lucky. Haven't had many problems with algae. I do have a RODI unit with "well" water. I did have a little Hair algae right after setting tank up, but did get about 3 of the turbo snails which seemed to help as well as an urchin. Hair algae all gone, no slime or other. Only issue is a recurrent film on the glass which is greenish. Scraper takes care of it.
seafishinmn
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Post by Dedex on Sat May 16, 2009 11:50 pm

I have a great RODI unit, and TDS is 0...that's why I have no idea. We have tried messing with the skimmer as well. That is why I am so frustrated.

Dedex
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by brad on Sun May 17, 2009 8:35 am

Try less light time. Are you over feeding?

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mn. reef crzy on Sun May 17, 2009 9:12 am

do you rinse your food before you feed. Maybe the liquid holding your frozen food is loaded with nutrients. Really something has to be feeding the algae you just have to figure out what. How old are the filters in the RODI. Also to make sure your tds is really zero you should pop it off the RODI unit and test your water storage container just to make sure the link is not between the ro unit and the tank. Out of curiousity do you have any idea where your ph sits?

Mn. reef crzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Sun May 17, 2009 11:57 am

Good point. I've been getting lazy about the food thing. I should go back to being more careful. I don't have HA but my glass is starting to need to be scraped too often!!
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top