write up for the Science Center

View previous topic View next topic Go down

write up for the Science Center

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:38 pm

Susan asked us to write up some info about our club for those who may inquire. I dusted the cobwebs out of the memory chamber and surfed RC for some old posts and came up with this. Let me know if you think I need to add or delete anything or if my info doesn't seem right. I think I'll start taking notes at each meeting so if I need to do this again, the info is readily avail. Smile

"Northern Minnesota Reef Club (NMRC) is a club for saltwater enthusiasts. Current members are from all over northern Minnesota. We generally meet every other month or so at member’s homes for informal discussion and to see each other’s aquariums. There is a broad range of expertise among our members. Some are in the process of setting up their first tank. Some have been at it for years.

Our first meeting had seven attendees and was held in Bemidji on October 28, 2007. Since then we’ve had meetings in Thief River Falls, International Falls, Grand Forks, Bemidji and Park Rapids. Meeting attendance varies greatly because of the physical distance between club members and everyone’s busy schedules. The largest meeting to date was February of 2009 in Bemidji. There were 17 total in attendance.

Club growth really took off with the development of our internet forum which became available in March 8, 2008. Visit www.frozenocean.org to see what it looks like today. It is a friendly site full of great information including when and where the next meeting will be. (Make sure to check out the pictures section!) As of today, July 14, 2009 there are 86 people registered on the club’s website.

2009 has been an exciting? year for NMRC. We collaborated with the Grand Forks club, www.redrivervalleyreefers.com on a Frag Swap event that was held in Bemidji in May and attracted over 30 participants. Also, several NMRC members participated in a tank build contest also sponsored by the Grand Forks club. We hope to have more of these types of events because they are enjoyable, get new people involved and provide opportunity to meet hobbyists from other clubs.

We are excited about assisting the Headwaters Science Center with their 210 gallon saltwater tank. To date, club members have helped determine and order equipment, helped haul the tank into and determine its’ placement in the Center and assisted in fundraising efforts for the project. We plan to continue helping get it set up and then later, assist with ongoing maintenance and donate live corals. It will be a nice attraction for the Science Center and we hope it will persuade more people to get into the hobby themselves.

Saltwater aquariums are beautiful, ever-changing and fascinating and being part of the club provides the hobbyist with a valuable resource. It allows members to learn from one another and to have a better chance of success. Mistakes in this hobby can be very expensive and often result in the death of marine life. Meetings provide enthusiasts the opportunity to visit with others who share their passion as well as the opportunity to trade, sell or give away fragments of corals (frags) or equipment that is no longer needed. This is a huge benefit as the cost of the hobby can be great.

Consider attending a meeting if you are at all interested in or have a saltwater aquarium. There is no membership fee and it is simply the best way to learn and fun to see member’s tanks. Meetings are casual and new people are always welcome no matter what they’re experience level is."

Last edited by blennieluvr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Re: write up for the Science Center

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:59 pm

Jason will be glad to see that this is what I've been working on and NOT on purchasing more stuff.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:08 pm

Seems fine to me, I would change it so in paragraphs's 4 & 5 it doesn't say "exciting" in both. Get out your thesaurus, lol! Do you feel like you are writing an essay for school? Is this going up next to the tank or what?
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:16 pm

What do you suggest? LOL

Synonymsbreathtaking, electric, electrifying, exhilarating, galvanizing, inspiring, rip-roaring, rousing, stimulating, stirring, thrillingRelated Wordsarresting, interesting, intriguing, provocative, tantalizing; absorbing, engrossing, gripping, riveting; moving, poignant, touching; enchanting, enthralling, fascinating, spellbinding

Actually, thanks for pointing that out. It was fun digging up dates and writing but I as kind of rushing at the end and don't always think on my toes at night. Smile
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm not exactly sure where it's going....probably next to the tank. Garrett is going to drop off cards for people to grab too.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot on Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Looks good to me Cammie I will make up some more cards and leave them there this week. Will you be able to make a copy of that and get it to the center or would you want me to get it from you and I can bring it down when I go there?

Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by danreefs on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Looks good to me
danreefs
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 1516

Back to top Go down

Post by GoingPostal on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:53 pm

Rip-roaring
GoingPostal
Mod
Mod

Number of posts : 1479

Back to top Go down

Post by icereefer on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I think it looks great nicely written. Cammie.
icereefer
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 801

http://redrivervalleyreefers.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:21 pm

I can get it to the center. I'll probably just print it out on colored paper so it kinda stands out.
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 pm

No other votes? We're going with Rip-roaring? I was leaning toward tantalizing. LOL
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by obsessed on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am

I do like tantalizing!!!
obsessed
Tang
Tang

Number of posts : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by brad on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:29 am

Looks good Cammie.

brad
Lion Fish
Lion Fish

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post by HSCmember on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:46 pm

Cammie,

I think it looks great except when listing the work that has been done so far on setting up the exhibit, please mention Garrett building the stand and canopy. I will put this on poster board and place it next to the tank.

They had 300+ people through there yesterday. Hard to believe but two large groups and the poor weather always works in their favor. A family from Illinois even bought one of our fundraiser fish. Pretty cool.

Susan
HSCmember
Great White
Great White

Number of posts : 560

Back to top Go down

Post by blennieluvr on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:06 am

Oh....thanks for mentioning that. I can't believe I forgot it! Sorry, HD! That's why I posted it. I'll add it and bring a copy over. Maybe I can just bring it to your work, Susan?
blennieluvr
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Home_Depot on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:14 am

I am going to go down there later today and finish hooking up the RO/DI unit and get the water making started. Was thinking maybe Wednesday night going and drilling it. Anyone be able to help?

Admin

Number of posts : 1946

http://www.frozenocean.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top